It seems ludicrous to give you a potato salad recipe. I mean, thousands of them already exist and mine changes basically every time I make it. But this one is a bit of a dinner winner.
- 1.8-2 kg potatoes whole and unpeeled
- 10-12 strips streaky bacon diced
- 2-4 green shallots finely sliced
- 6 eggs hard boiled
- 200 mg mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (heaped) seeded mustard
- For the dressing, combine everything and shake. Not hard.
- Cover the potatoes with water and a pinch of salt, bring to the boil and cook until a skewer goes through easily. No one wants crunchy potatoes in a potato salad.
- Drain and cool. I often cook them the day before and just leave them uncovered in the fridge.
- Peel them – this is a bastard of a job, there's no denying it. Just accept it, put on some music or a rerun of your favourite show and lean into it. The end result is totally worth it. Trust me.
- Fry off the bacon until nice and crisp.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs – now, everyone has their theory on how to make peeling a hard boiled egg easy. For me, it seems that if you pull them off the stove, drain and then just run under precious potable drinking water until your middle class privilege can't stand it anymore (and the eggs are cool) then the shells come off easily. But that's just me.
- Then, using the fine grater side of a box grater, grate the eggs. Hold them in your hand and just press against the grater and you get awesome finely grated eggs. Fancy like.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, then pour over the dressing and toss gently. And there you have it, the best potato salad in the world.
2 thoughts on “Potato salad”
Complete typo! Sorry!
SLURP! Imagine, nobody likes this here but me, so … no potato salad!