Pork chow mein
A fantastic stir fry
- 500 mg pork mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice heaped
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced on the angle
- 2 carrots, sliced on the angle
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 500g chow mein noodles, prepared according to packet
- 4 spring onions, sliced on the angle
- bean shoots – couple of big handfuls
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Chinese sausage, sliced on the angle optional
- In a large wok heat the oil and then brown the mince until all the water is cooked out of it and it starts to brown and fry
- Add the sliced Chinese sausage if using, the five spice, onion and garlic and cook for about five minutes
- Add the cabbage, carrot, celery and half the hot water, give a good stir – at this stage you should have everything in the wok moving on a fairly constant basis.
- Add the oyster sauce, soy and remaining water
- Add in the noodles (NOTE: I doubled the amount of noodles and flavour etc was still fantastic) and toss everything.
- Add the spring onions and bean shoots and toss through, then sprinkle over the sesame seeds.